Adopted father tries coming to terms with Nicolester’s death

Salang (second left) receiving a personal donation from Stanley

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.

SIBU, Nov 2: The death of Constable Nicolester Dadup Unggat was the last thing that former soldier, Salang Kaya, wanted.

Salang, 76, had adopted Nicolester since he was born together with two others. However his two other adopted sons had also passed away before Nicolester.

“All died in accidents. One of them, a mechanic in a logging camp in Kapit died in an accident while at work in 2006. The other one, a soldier lost his life in an accident in Batang Kali, Selangor in 2016,” he told newsmen at his residence in Sibujaya today

So when he received news on the death of Nicolester, it was difficult for him to accept it.

Nicolester was killed while his colleague, Lance Corporal Mohammad Fadhirul Musa, 32, sustained serious injuries on the head after their patrol car overturned while in pursuit of two suspected criminals along Jalan Kangkar Tebrau-Jalan Tun Teja in Johor at 5am yesterday.

“His mother had initially hid the news from me but finally broke it to me and his grandmother. What can I do as he is gone now. And like the other two, they left before me,” he said.

Salang said he called Nicolester every day as he is still young.

“My last call was on Nov 1. As usual I asked him on his work schedule and he will always tell me each time. I will always tell him to take good care of himself,” he said.

The old man had raised him up from young after his parents separated.

“After his mother remarried, I took care of him. He had a sister (Elizcavelynicy Unchi Unggat, 23) who is a nurse at Sultan Ismail Hospital,” he said.

Salang (seated second left) with Elizabeth and Stanley waiting for the body to arrive from Kuching.

Nicolester’s first ambition was to follow Salang’s footsteps to be a soldier. But he failed twice in the interview.

“After finishing his Form 6 education, he applied to be a soldier but failed in the interviews. He then applied to be a policeman and got the job. After completing his training in May this year, he served at the Bandar Dato’ Onn Police Station, Johor,” said Salang.

Meanwhile, Nicolester’s mother, Elizabeth Salang, 42, said she received the devastating news of his death at about 8am today from his superior.

“I was shocked and could not continue with the conversation,” she said sadly, adding that the deceased had planned to come back for a holiday at the end of this year.

Meanwhile Sibu District Police Chief ACP Stanley Jonathan Ringgit, who was at the family’s residence, said that the burial had been slated for this Thursday morning at the Nirvana Memorial Park.

Stanley and his wife, Monica Wilson later presented a personal donation to Salang.

Earlier the body of Nicolester was supposed to be flown  from Kuching Intrnational Airport at 3pm today. However due to the bad weather, the military aircraft could not take off.

The body was later sent to his home by road using a van. It is expected to arrive at midnight today. — DayakDaily