18 development projects in Santubong will continue after MCO delay

Wan Junaidi (centre) speaking during a press conference held at JKR office in Jalan Batu Lintang, today.

By Christopher Lidom

KUCHING, June 27: A total of 18 projects implemented by the Public Works Department (JKR) in the Santubong parliamentary constituency will continue after delays due to the Movement Control Order (MCO), said Santubong MP Datuk Seri Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar.

Wan Junaidi, who is also Entrepreneur Development and Cooperatives Minister, said the projects which cost from RM50,000 to RM2.5 million, are being carried out in three state constituencies, namely Pantai Damai, Tanjung Datu, and Demak Laut.

“The projects, which include the construction of mosque, surau, halls, and many others have been tendered at the end of 2019, and construction work has began earlier this year.

“But due to the Covid-19 pandemic, works could not be carried out,” said Wan Junaidi in a press conference held during the briefing session with JKR Kuching, at JKR office in Jalan Batu Lintang, today.


He also noted that with the standard operating procedures (SOP) in place, JKR and the Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID) can engage the contractor to implement the projects so that the works can resume.

Wan Junaidi said these include a mosque and surau project, that has not been completed since 2013.

“I have hold a meeting with JKR to request them to relook the project and therefore, my hope is that any companies that have been identified, to commence their project immediately, whenever they can,” he added.

Meanwhile, Wan Junaidi  pointed that another reason that caused the delay was because the project was withdrawn when Pakatan Harapan (PN) took over the government,

“That is why I have requested from Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg to allocate funds for MPs that face the same problems so that the affected projects can be carried out.

“Other reasons that caused the delay was because some of the projects had to be re-tendered as the contractors did not meet certain criteria and some did want to take up the project due to high transportation costs because the projects are located in the rural areas.

“Some quarters have questioned when will the projects be carried out, and I hope the respective parties could understand that works had to be stop during the MCO period. These projects are not purposely delayed or there is no fund to continue the projects. This allegations are not true,” he said. –DayakDaily.