KUCHING, July 13: Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Parliament and Law) Datuk Seri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar states that the Paris Court of Appeal has approved the Malaysian government’s application to suspend the enforcement of the ‘Final Award’ issued by Spanish arbitrator Dr Gonzalo Stampa on Feb 28, 2022, following allegations by those claiming to be “heirs” and “successors-in-interest” to Sultan Jamalul Kiram II.
According to Wan Junaidi’s statement, the Paris Court of Appeal’s decision was based on the fact that the ‘Final Award’ would compromise Malaysia’s sovereign immunity.
“The Suspension Order is the result of various legal actions taken by the government of Malaysia starting from the Claim being filed to end all claims and ensure that Malaysia’s interests, sovereign immunity, and sovereignty are always protected and preserved.
“Therefore, the Suspension Order issued yesterday by the Paris Court of Appeal, the ‘Final Award’, cannot be enforced in any country until the Paris Court reaches a final decision regarding the Malaysian government’s request to annul such a ruling,” he said.
The de facto Law Minister mentioned that on July 11, 2022, two Petronas subsidiaries in Luxembourg were notified of the enforcement of the ‘Final Award’ through the submission of a notice issued by the Luxembourg Court.
He went on to say that Petronas will take the necessary legal action to defend its legal position.
Wan Junaidi reiterated that the government has never recognised these claims and has never set aside the country’s sovereign immunity as a sovereign nation.
Further to that, he noted that the Malaysian government had filed for Stampa’s removal as the arbiter by the High Court in Madrid in June of last year, and Stampa was eventually declared ineligible, and the Malaysian government has used the verdict to reject the validity of the ‘Final Award’.
Meanwhile, Petroliam Nasional Berhad (Petronas) has confirmed that two of its subsidiaries, which could be worth more than US$2 billion, have been seized by the heirs of the last Sultan of Sulu.
In a statement issued today, Petronas said that two of its subsidiaries have been served with a ‘Saisie-arret’ (seizure order) on July 11, 2022. — DayakDaily