By Karen Bong
KUCHING, Apr 10: A video depicting a large number of Malaysian citizens from Singapore storming the Sultan Iskandar Building (BSI) in Johor Bahru that went viral on social media on Thursday (Apr 9) is fake.
According to Defence Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob during a daily press conference on Movement Control Order today, the Immigration Department had denied and explained that the video recording was actually a fire drill recorded at the BSI on Dec 18, 2018.
Ismail Sabri said that the police had already identified those involved in spreading the fake news and that legal action would be taken against them.
So far the police and Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) have opened 207 investigation papers in connection with fake news about Covid-19 situation on the social media as of yesterday (April 9). Of the number, 23 cases have been charged in court.
Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said that the MCO compliance rate so far was 97 per cent.
“Police have arrested 666 individuals for flouting the MCO, with 392 issued compound of RM1,000. A total of 7,479 individuals have been detained from March 18 to April 9 for flouting the MCO,” he added. —DayakDaily