Subang Jaya gas pipeline fire extinguished; PM announces aid for homeowners, victims

Amirudin Shari being briefed on the gas pipeline fire.
Advertisement

By DayakDaily Team

KUCHING, April 1: This morning’s pipeline fire at Jalan Harmoni, Putra Heights, in Subang Jaya has finally been put out, but two residential areas have been declared restricted zones.

According to Free Malaysia Today (FMT), Selangor Menteri Besar Amirudin Shari said the blaze, which followed an explosion at 8.10am, had been put out by 3.45pm.

Advertisement

However, he said homes within a 290m radius will remain off-limits until the authorities confirm it is safe for residents to return.

“So far, 305 victims have been rescued and placed at temporary relief centres or treated at the Subang Jaya Medical Centre, Sunway Medical Centre, and the Serdang and Putrajaya government hospitals,” he said after visiting the incident site today.

He added that as of 5pm, no fatalities have been reported.

The fire broke out earlier this morning, which was caused by a leak in a PETRONAS Gas Bhd main pipeline. At least 190 homes, 148 cars, and 12 motorcycles were damaged.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim announced that victims would receive RM2,500 each and that the owners of the houses damaged by the fire would receive RM5,000.

“The federal and state governments, as well as PETRONAS, will see to the repairs of the damaged homes,” he said as quoted by Bernama. — DayakDaily

Advertisement