“Sibu is not forgotten” — Uggah

Uggah at a press conference to update Covid-19 situation in Sarawak today (Feb 19, 2021).

By Ling Hui

KUCHING, Feb 19: “We never forget Sibu,” says State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) chairman Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas.

Hoping that this message could get to every Sibuan, he assured that the Sarawak government, be it SDMC or the Sarawak State Health Department (JKNS) are paying attention to the needs of Sibu.


“The state government and the federal government as well, we are really paying attention to the facilities required,” said Uggah.

In response to Sibu Divisional Disaster Management Committee’s (Sibu DDMC) request for support for Active Case Detection (ACD), Uggah said Sarawak Health director Dr Chin Zin Hing had already mobilised several staff from outside Sibu to lend a hand.

Uggah, who is also Deputy Chief Minister said additional 13 Intensive Care Unit (ICU) would be added to the existing 17 in Sibu.

“The ventilators requested by Sibu the other day, I think they are already in Sibu. And Dr Chin will continue to look into the requirements in Sibu,” he said when addressing the Covid-19 press conference today.

Meanwhile, Uggah also stressed that Targeted Enhanced Movement Control Order (TEMCO) in Sibu Jaya flats have yielded good results compared to the previous implementation of MCO.

Noting that TEMCO is a targeted lockdown where nobody leaves or enter the area before all individuals are tested, he said this is an effective strategy in cutting the chain of transmission.

“Everyone inside the (TEMCO) areas will not be able to go out and people from outside is not able to go in. At the same time, we test everyone in that area.

“With these tests, we want to make sure everyone in the area who are Covid-19 positive are identified. If it’s MCO, we don’t focus in any particular area,” he explained. — DayakDaily