By Karen Bong
KUCHING, Apr 9: The Sarawak government will abide by the decision of the National Security Council (NSC) if the Movement Control Order (MCO) is extended.
Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg, however, said that Sarawak government was given the leniency to determine the measures that needed to be implemented in the state.
“We have to follow the decision of NSC. In fact, we have been providing information to NSC on the current (Covid-19 and MCO) situation (in the state) which meeting is attended by me or the deputy chief minister.
“So far so good and they (NSC) also give us leniency to determine the measures that needed to be implemented in Sarawak,” he told a press conference after chairing the State Security Council meeting today.
Abang Johari expressed satisfaction with the smooth operation of MCO in the state and that the current Covid-19 situation was under control.
Meanwhile, the federal government is expected to make the much-awaited announcement on whether MCO will be further extended tomorrow (April 10).
The MCO was initially enforced until March 31 but extended to April 14.
Abang Johari also emphasised that security at the borders of Sarawak will be tightened and closely monitored including in Long Singut, Kapit to prevent the entry of foreigners during the MCO period.
“In Kapit, we have approved an allocation to increase assets to enhance security monitoring along the borders. While in other areas, Customs Immigration Quarantine and Security (CIQs) have been established.
“We are only worried about the ‘jalan tikus’ (illegal routes), thus we will tighten the security in such areas where there is potential for people from neighbouring countries to enter Sarawak,” he said.
He emphasised that Sarawak government is closely monitoring the Covid-19 situation in neighbouring countries including Indonesia which is bracing for a spike in cases.
“During this Covid-19 outbreak, we must protect Sarawak and our people,” he added.—DayakDaily