RM81.5 mln allocated for 210 additional classrooms in Sarawak

File photo for illustration purposes. — DayakDaily.com file pic. // Photo: Pixabay
Advertisement

By DayakDaily Team

KUHCING, Aug 19: The Ministry of Education (MOE), through the Public Works Department (JKR) Sarawak, is implementing 84 projects involving the construction of 210 additional classrooms at schools statewide, at an estimated cost of RM81.5 million, to accommodate an increase of 5,600 pupils for the 2027 academic session.

According to a statement today, the additional classrooms comprise 140 mainstream classrooms and 70 Integrated Special Education Programme (PPKI) classrooms, catering for an anticipated increase of 4,900 mainstream pupils and 700 PPKI pupils.

Advertisement

The ministry said the projects were part of efforts to prepare schools for the expected increase in Year One enrollment for the 2027 Academic Calendar.

Nationally, the MOE, through JKR as the implementing agency, has allocated RM668 million for 524 projects involving the construction of 1,780 additional classrooms in Peninsular Malaysia and the Federal Territory of Labuan.

These include 1,255 mainstream classrooms and 525 PPKI classrooms, which are expected to accommodate an additional 43,925 mainstream pupils and 5,250 PPKI pupils.

In Sabah, the ministry is implementing 73 projects involving 112 additional classrooms, comprising 92 mainstream and 20 PPKI classrooms.

The Sabah projects have an estimated cost of RM58 million and are expected to cater for an additional 3,920 mainstream pupils and 200 PPKI pupils.

The ministry said several projects had already been completed ahead of schedule, including SK Durian Mas, SK Banggol Peradong and SK Kampong Tengah in Terengganu.

Other projects are expected to be completed in stages by December 2026 in preparation for the arrival of additional Year One pupils in the coming academic session.

It said the nationwide construction of additional classrooms reflected the federal government’s commitment to the national education agenda and was aimed at ensuring the enrolment of six-year-old children into Year One proceeded smoothly as planned. — DayakDaily

Advertisement