Puncak Borneo to enjoy 98 per cent internet coverage, says Willie

Willie (fourth right) in photo session with the community leaders

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


By Jacob Achoi

KUCHING, March 30: Puncak Borneo will enjoy about 98 per cent of Internet coverage with the construction of more telecommunication towers and upgrading of the existing ones.

Deputy Minister of Plantation Industries and Commodities Datuk Willie Mongin said 16 such towers have been completed and another 27 for this year, under the National Digital Plan (Pelan Digital Negara-Jendela).

He added that tender for the 27 projects has closed and awaiting for the successful bidders to start work.

In addition to that, he pointed out that Sarawak Multimedia Authority (SMA) was also erecting similar towers in the area.

“For Puncak Borneo, we target Internet coverage to about 98 per cent, and what we doing now is to build new towers and upgrading the existing ones to 4G,” Willie, who is Puncak Borneo MP told reporters today.

He had earlier officiated ‘Malaysia Prihatin’ programme with community leaders from DUN Mambong at Police Training School (PULASAR).

Willie said 17 telecommunication towers in the area have been upgraded to Celcom 4G.

“We are targeting that 81 telecommunications towers to be upgraded to 4G this year,” he said, stressing that the towers under Jendela will have 4G coverage.

Willie talking to reporters

Willie also said all projects in the area were going on smoothly due to a very good networking and cooperation with the Gabungan Parti Sarawak (GPS) government.

“Our working relationship with GPS government, which is part of Perikatan Nasional (PN) is very good, and I must say that to date all the projects in Puncak Borneo are going on very well,” Willie pointed out.

He said that the working relationship with local councils and community leaders were also good towards bringing development to the people. — DayakDaily