SIBU, Sept 11: A total of 37 premises have their electricity supply disconnected yesterday on suspicion of carrying out online gambling in a crackdown on such activity in town.
Sibu district police chief, ACP Stanley Jonathan Ringgit said the police and Sesco (Syarikat Sesco Berhad) had conducted an integrated operation from 1pm to 4.30pm yesterday to cut power supply to these gambling dens.
The combined team included an assistant superintendent of police, two inspectors and 10 policemen. Joining them were seven technicians from Sesco.
“All of these premises had earlier being issued with notice on disconnection of electricity. At the operation yesterday, the team had also briefed the operators on the purpose,” he said.
Stanley said the process of cutting off electricity supply was smooth. It was carried out under Section 21A of the Common Gaming Houses Act 1953.
Meanwhile, Sibu police had received four new MPV Honda Civic 1.8S vehicles from State Police Commissioner Datuk Aidi Ismail yesterday in a ceremony held in Kuching.
Stanley himself handed over the four vehicles to the Crime Prevention and Community Department this morning.
The simple ceremony was witnessed by deputy police chief, Supt Collin Babat.-DayakDaily