KUCHING, Aug 18: Defence Minister Mohamad Sabu will visit the family of Cpl David Edmund Rapi in Sibu today.
David is one of two Sarawakian soldiers reported missing since July 19 while posted to Pulau Perak, Kedah.
Speaking to reporters after officiating at Parti Amanah Sarawak Convention 2019 here this morning, Mohamad or Mat Sabu as he is widely known, said the search and rescue operation for the two Sarawakian soldiers David and L/Cpl Moses Logers has been ongoing since their disappearance was detected during a roll call on July 19.
However, he said, there has not been any new leads so far on their disappearance, therefore the search for them has been carried out intermittently.
“I will meet families of one of the missing Sarawak soldiers today. The search and rescue operation is still ongoing but there are no new leads.
“However their salaries will continue to be paid to them. As per regulations in the Malaysian Armed Forces (MAF), if they are missing while on duty they will still be paid their salaries for up to seven years,” Mohamad disclosed.
The disapperance of David and Moses, who are attached to the Fourth Battalion Royal Ranger Regiment at Bukit Cowder Camp in Pulau Perak, Perlis, was discovered after a late-night roll call on July 19.
The state government had asked the Defence Ministry to allow the families of David and Moses to retrieve their personal belongings.
David’s family on Aug 14 left for Pulau Perak, courtesy of the state government, to retrieve his belongings. — DayakDaily