Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.
By Nancy Nais
KUCHING, Nov 26: Democratic Action Party (DAP) Sarawak became the first political party to announce its candidates and seats in which they will contest during the 12th Sarawak Election.
However, DAP Sarawak chairman Chong Chieng Jen only announced 18 of the intended 26 seats. From the 18 candidates, 10 of them (55 per cent) are new faces. The following are the list of candidates revealed thus far:
1. Granda Aing: Tasik Biru (newcomer)
2. Chang Hon Hiung: Mambong (newcomer)
3. Laerry Jabul: Kedup (newcomer)
4. Brolin Nicholsion Benedict Achung: Bukit Semuja (newcomer)
5. Leon Jimat Donald: Simanggang
6. Philip Wong Pak Min: Repok (newcomer)
7. Yong Siew Wei: Meradong
8. Irene Mary Chang Oi Ling: Bukit Assek
9. David Wong Kee Woan: Pelawan
10. Solomon Kumbong: Pelagus (newcomer)
11. Joseph Jingut: Bukit Goram (newcomer)
12. Kenneth Usang George Lagong: Baleh (newcomer)
13. Tony Chiew: Tanjung Batu
14. John Bryan: Kemena
15. Tony Ung Cheng Chak: Samalaju (newcomer)
16. Peter Hee Leh Keng: Piasau
17. Alan Ling Sie Kiong: Pujut
18. Marcus Hugo: Senadin (newcomer)
Nomination for the election has been set on Dec 6, while polling will take place on Dec 18.
Chong added that he will announce the remaining eight candidates at a later date.
DAP Sarawak is also expected to contest in Padungan, Pending, Kota Sentosa, Batu Kitang, Batu Kawah, Stakan, Dudong and Bawang Assan.
“To all the candidates, make sure you give Gabungan Parti Sarawak (GPS) a good fight in the coming state election.
“I also hope that we will have more comrades from DAP marching into the Sarawak Legislative Assembly,” he said, after handing over the credential letters today.
Before the dissolution of Sarawak assembly last month, DAP won seven of the 31 seats contested in 2016. — DayakDaily