Buck up, Sarawak second finance minister warns underperforming ministries

Uggah delivers his ministerial winding-up speech at the DUN complex on Nov 29, 2023.

By Lian Cheng

KUCHING, Nov 29: There are certain ministries recording a fairly low execution performance of less than 30 per cent for the almost entire year despite the availability of funds.

In pointing this out, Second Finance Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas urged all controlling officers and their implementing agencies to step up their efforts in ensuring that all projects under their purview are implemented expeditiously and that the approved budget for this year is progressively spent.

He said the spending is crucial to spur Sarawak’s economic growth and provide well-developed infrastructure toward improving the livelihood of the people.

“I would like to remind these ministries to address issues that hinders the project implementation and where necessary, to review their processes and procedures in ensuring that these projects can be timely and effectively,” said Uggah when delivering his ministerial winding-up speech at Sarawak Legislative Assembly (DUN) sitting here today.

On projects under the Rural Transformation Programme (RTP), Uggah who is also Infrastructure and Port Development Minister told the august House that the government had approved a total of 7,731 projects with an approved budget of RM1.29 billion.

As of October 2023, 4,145 projects or 54 per cent of the projects have been completed while the remaining 3,586 projects or 46 per cent are at various stages of implementation.

A total of RM436.4 million or 34 per cent out of the budgeted RM1.29 billion had been spent between 2021 to Oct 2023.

“Since the introduction of RTP in 2015, over 20,400 projects have been implemented which have benefitted the rakyat, espcially those in the rural areas,” said Uggah who is also Sarawak Deputy Premier. — DayakDaily