Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.
By Peter Sibon
KUCHING, Oct 30: Pro Keadilan Sarawak (Adil13) today presented a 13-point alternative Budget 2020 to the Sarawak government totalling RM11.857 billion.
Under its theme “SarawakBaharuSarawakMaju 2020”, Adil13 presented a budget allocating RM9.016 billion, or 80.7 per cent, for development expenditures and the remaining RM2.841 billion, or 19.3 per cent, for operating expenditures.
“The main emphasis of this 13-point budget is to improve the basic infrastructure such as water and electricity, roads and the people’s general well being,” Adil13 secretary Lily Sebli told reporters after presenting the Budget to the chief minister’s principle private secretary Datuk Khir Busrah at Wisma Bapa Malaysia here.
Lily added that Adil13’s Budget 2020 was drawn based on the people’s aspirations.
“Every year we wait for better budget to bring about a major change for Sarawakians, especially to address the disparity in income, infrastructure and economy.
“Although the 2019 Budget was announced as the state’s largest budget, it is only in terms of paper, but has not reached the target group. For instance, there is still no water in Gedong.
“What we see among the villages as in the past eight months is no water. People still do not see the profit and impact of the ‘biggest’ budget,” she continued.
Lily said the budget would be a deficit budget as it would take between three and five years to recover the much-needed fund.
“With the allocation of RM4.4 billion from the federal government and with the right political will, this effort is possible. We also propose the use of RM8 billion cash reserves to cover the current budget deficit,” she continued.
Citing Adil13 Budget 2020 initiative, she expressed hope that Sarawakians do not afraid to call and adopt for change. — DayakDaily