Teary CityOne Megamall owner apologises to deceased’s father

Long (right) begging for forgiveness from Tchee.

By Nancy Nais

KUCHING, Dec 7: Stephen Long Tine Chung, the director of Kenbest Sdn Bhd (developer of CityOne Megamall), was moved to tears the moment he entered Tchee Fah Hin’s dilapidated house in Jalan Stutong Baru today.

In a moment of grief, Long immediately bow and apologised profusely to Tchee for the CityOne Megamall explosion on Dec 4 that claimed the life of his 24-year-old son, Kiam Jong.


Long told Tchee, 66, and the reporters present that he didn’t come to see Tchee to seek publicity.

Tchee Fah Hin

“I am very sad, very grieved over this incident. Tchee lost a son who is working for me in order to support and look after his father. I am unable to give back the life of his son. Please forgive me. I promise I will assist him continuously. I will look into the welfare and his future needs,” said a tearful Long.

Tchee, who was somehow able to compose himself and spoke to Long, said it was all right and that he understood no one wanted this sort of incident to happen. He added that he had accepted it.

Tchee’s dilapidated house

When Long asked what he could do for Tchee, the latter told him not to worry as many people had been coming to his house offering aids, including fixing his run-down house.

Tchee has weak legs due to old age, so he is unable to stand for long periods or walk very far.

Meanwhile, Long added that he was deeply saddened by the blast on Tuesday that claimed three lives and injured 41 others.

“I promise I will take care of all the victims’ welfare, visit them in the hospitals and continuously provide financial support to the families of the three deceased,” he said.

The three men who died in the explosion were O Kui Lim, 49, Tchee Kiam Jong, 24, both Sarawakians and Chin Hsien Loong, 29, from Butterworth, Penang.

Long (in tears) asking for forgiveness from all the victims and their families.

“I have deployed my staff from CityOne Megamall to accompany all the victims until each and every one of them gets discharged from Sarawak General Hospital, Timberland Medical Centre and Borneo Medical Centre.

“Each time I go to visit them at the hospitals, I cried with them when I hear them saying it is painful,” Long lamented.

Most of the victims suffered burns and broken bones. — DayakDaily