KUCHING, August 24: Sarawak is on track to secure more business events after hosting over 750 of these lucrative gatherings since the setting up of Sarawak Convention Bureau (SCB) in 2006.
Minister of Tourism, Arts, Culture, Youth and Sports Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah said these business events brought in about 286,000 delegates and 948,000 delegate days. These translated to an economic value of more than RM645 million to Sarawak through direct delegate expenditure.
In his keynote address at the 9th Anak Sarawak Awards in conjunction with Business Events Tribal Meet (TriBE 2018) at a hotel here today, Abdul Karim said the state had been able to attract 30 business events this year, which brought in close to 10,000 delegates and generated RM34.6 million in direct delegate expenditure.
“Combined with strong marketing campaigns such as the award-winning Redefining Global Tribes, we are on the right track to secure more business events to this magnificent land,” he said.
Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg, who was also present, expressed great confidence in the state tourism industry. He hoped AirAsia would be able to set up its low-cost terminal at Kuching International Airport within the next two years to connect Kuching to strategic destinations such as Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Hong Kong.
“At the same time, we will have to improve connectivity within the state’s major towns and cities, especially to Mulu National Park and Miri,” he said.
The Anak Sarawak Award 2018 winners are as follows:
- Priscilla Susato Sulau – Anak Sarawak Young Leader Scholarship Award,
- Yvonne Tuah Merawin won the Anak Sarawak Journalism Award – Business Events Journalism Excellence (Print/Online)
- CPH Travel Agencies with its 55th International Congress and Convention Association Congress 2016 won the Anak Sarawak Business Event Award – Convention of Excellence
- Spiral Arts & Design through its 55th International Congress and Convention Association 2016 Welcoming Dinner won the Anak Sarawak Business Events Award – Corporate Events of Excellence
- Paradesa Borneo won the Anak Sarawak Business Award – Products and Services of Excellence Award
- Imperial Hotel Miri won the Anak Sarawak Events Award – Meeting Venues of Excellence
- Eric van Piggelen of Borneo Convention Centre Kuching won the Anak Sarawak Outstanding Achievement Awards Grand Award.
For six winners, they won a scholarship for training and marketing support course worth RM10,000, while van Piggelen won RM20,000 worth of scholarship for training and marketing support course.
Two other finalists from the same category, namely Dr Aidil Ahmi of Universiti Utara Malaysia and Ahmad Zaiwin Mohd Kassim of Koperasi Pro Belia Inovatif Sarawak, also won RM10,000 worth of scholarship for training and marketing support course. — DayakDaily