Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.
KUCHING, Nov 13: Democratic Action Party (DAP) Sarawak chairman Chong Chieng Jen is relieved that the Sarawak government has decided to stop renewing the quarry operation license in Kota Sentosa.
Chong in a press statement today, said following years of protests and petitions to the State Government to stop the quarry operation nearby, today, in the Sarawak State Legislative Assembly, the Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Awang Tengah Ali Hasan, finally gave a clear answer to their request.
According to him, over the years, this matter had been raised many times both in the State Assembly and the Federal Parliament, but as the matter lies within the jurisdiction of the State Government, it could only be pursued at the State level.
“In reply to my answer, the Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Awang Tengah Ali Hasan stated in the State Assembly today that, in 2017, the Government has commissioned a study on the integrity of the quarry wall and found that to be intact.
“He further said that the Government will not renew the quarry operation after the expiry of the quarry license on Nov 29, 2020, and after years of anxiety, finally the resident can see the light of the day and will be able to live their daily lives without the constant blasting and fear of damage to their houses caused by the blasting,” he said.
Chong who is also the assemblyman for Kota Sentosa noted, on Nov 11, 2020, while debating on the 2021 Sarawak State Budget, he raised the concerns of the residents about the quarry operation near their housing estate.
He said the constant blasting from the quarry that sent shocks and vibrations to their houses and the ultimate worry that such blasting may weaken the strata stability of the quarry walls, thus possibly causing massive landslides in the area.
“Finally, the residents staying at Taman Mei Lee near 7th Mile Bazaar Kuching, can have their peace of mind,” he added. –DayakDaily.