Quick action by residents prevent longhouse fire in Kanowit

The main switch box that caught fire.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


KUCHING, Feb 7: Quick action by residents managed to save their longhouse from being razed by fire at Jalan Kanowit, Durin, yesterday evening.

Kanowit Fire and Rescue deployed a team of firefighters after receiving a distress call around 8pm. The fire was already extinguished by the longhouse dwellers upon their arrival.

“One of the longhouse resident spotted smoke and sparks coming from the main electrical switch box of the longhouse. One of the resident immediately put out the fire using a fire extinguisher to prevent a misfortune,” the department said in a statement.

The department commended the quick action of the residents to prevent their 22-unit longhouse from being razed by fire.

Firefighters putting out the remaining fire at the scene.

Meanwhile, a workers hostel at Jalan Merapok, Lawas, was completely razed by fire at around 9.45pm yesterday.

According to the Fire and Rescue Department, the hostel was empty at the time of the incident and no injuries were reported. — DayakDaily