Petronas makes third gas discovery in Balingian

File photo for illustration purposes

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


KUCHING, Jan 7: Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd (PCSB), a subsidiary of Petronas, has made a gas discovery at the Hadrah-1 wildcat exploration well of Block SK411, located in the shallow waters of Balingian about 170km northwest off the coast of Sarawak.

According to Petronas in a press statement today, the Hadrah-1 well was successfully drilled to a total depth of 1,850m in November 2021 and encountered gas within an approximately 200m thick sequence of high-quality sandstone and carbonate reservoirs.

Petronas Vice President of Exploration, Upstream, Emeliana Rice-Oxley said the gas discovery in the Hadrah-1 wildcat exploration well by PCSB further proves the promising prospectivity in the under explored Cycle I, II and III plays within the Balingian.


“The excellent quality of reservoirs encountered augurs well for the remaining potential in the surrounding areas, with PCSB well positioned to pursue the untapped similar plays in Blocks SK411 and SK306.

“We look forward to delivering more natural gas, the cleanest fossil fuel, safely and reliably to the market,” she said.

PCSB is the operator of the block, with 90 per cent participating interest in its Production Sharing Contract, and the remaining 10 per cent is held by E&P Malaysia Venture Sdn Bhd.

Hadrah-1 is Petronas’ third gas discovery in this province in 2021, after Sirung-1 and Kulintang-1 in March and May respectively.

In 2019, oil and gas were also discovered within the same play at the D18 field. — DayakDaily.