SIBU, Feb 8: The National Registration Department (NRD) mobile counter for stateless people to apply for personal documents which had earlier been rescheduled from Jan 15-17 to Feb 16-18 is now cancelled.
The venue was supposed to be at Zoobie Restaurant, opposite Bukit Aup Jubilee Park in Jalan Quarry here.
Sarawak Dayak Iban Association (Sadia) Rajang Branch chairman, Bill Jugah, who is jointly organising the event with NRD, said that the cancellation was because Sibu Division is still in the red zone of Covid-19 pandemic.
“We have to cancel the event as the Covid situation, especially in Sibu Division and its surroundings, is still red with no sign of abating. We have to cancel it for the safety of everybody concern,” he said today.
However all is not lost as Bill said he would submit all applications that he had received to the department.
“Those applicants, who have problem in enrolling in schools due to documentation problems, send to me whatever supporting documents through WhatsApp, Telegram and Messenger,” he added.
Bill said this was the best approach thus far so as not to delay their application.
“This way, we can avoid waiting for a long time to have the applicants’ case to be looked into by the NRD,” he added.
He had received more than 500 applications for personal documentation since the event was publicised on Nov 12 last year.
The counter was for those without personal document from rural areas like Long Singut, Engkilili, Lubok Antu, Sungai Asap, Sri Aman, Betong and Bakalan followed by those from other places like Sibu, Sarikei and Bintangor. — DayakDaily