By Brad Rantayy
MIRI, Jan 4: Miri City Council (MCC) today issued warnings to those contractors who did not collect rubbish during the recent festive break.
Mayor Adam Yii, in revealing this after a meet-the-people-session at Miri Urban Transformation Centre (UTC), said the failures of these contractors would be recorded “for our evaluation purposes”.
Six complaints were received during the one-hour session, which started at 10am. The complaints pertained to garbage collection, illegal dumping, road maintenance, illegal extension, public health and public nuisance.
Yii said 10 contractors were assigned to collect garbage in 10 zones.
“Most of these contractors gave excuses that their staff were on leave for the festive break, and they did not have enough staff to do the job. We can’t accept these excuses. They need to be proactive to fix the situation,” he said emphatically.
On grass cutting services in areas under the Public Works Department (JKR), Yii said the department had resumed its normal operation and hoped they would continue to do so.
“After all, we Sarawakians also paying taxes,” he said.
Last year, Works Minister Baru Bian announced that there was no federal budget for JKR to maintain protocol and federal roads for the months of November and December. — DayakDaily