By Ling Hui
KUCHING, Jan 30: Sibu folks are finding it hard to adapt to the restrictions of Movement Control Order (MCO) after previous months of being free from Covid-19.
Sibu Municipal Council (SMC) chairman Clarence Ting said the people had started to forget about the virus and its consequences since Sibu had not been reporting any Covid-19 case around October and November last year.
“So, when Covid-19 hit Sibu and MCO implemented in January, many could not adapt to the sudden change because many activities are limited.
“It had been some time since Sibu reported any positive cases, so everybody had forgotten,” he pointed out.
Even now especially during the season of Chinese New Year (CNY), he said, there are business premises that are operating without police permits.
He was made understood that many are going through challenging times as they have already stocked up plenty of CNY goods but are now affected by MCO.
Meanwhile, Miri City Council (MCC) mayor Adam Yii Siew Sang expressed his gratitude that the citizens of Miri, in general, are very cooperative in complying with the standard operating procedures (SOPs).
“I am happy to say that the citizens and business owners in Miri in all are following the SOPs because they are worried that the situation may go out of control too,” he said during a Facebook live streaming session by Kuching South City Council (MBKS) mayor Dato Wee Hong Seng earlier today.
The three mayors of Kuching, Miri and Sibu were sharing experiences on tackling Covid-19 and on-the-ground situations at each district.
Sibu is currently the only district under MCO in Sarawak while others including Kuching and Miri and under Conditional MCO (CMCO) until Feb 14. —DayakDaily