Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.
By Ling Hui
KUCHING, Oct 30: Some mass vaccination centres (PPVs) in Sarawak will soon be reopened at the Sarawak government’s own expenses to cater for increased intensity of booster shots administration.
State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) advisor Dato Sri Dr Sim Kui Hian said the State government finds the need to pick up pace as there are at least 500,000 to 600,000 eligible recipients at the moment, but yet to be vaccinated.
“It has been about two weeks since the booster vaccination started, and Sarawak managed to deliver about 70,000 doses, first to frontliners, then to those above 60 years old.
“After a discussion with the specialists, the Sarawak government thinks the progress is not fast enough as there are still a lot of Sarawakians within the Covid-19 high-risk group,” he said during Kuching South City Council (MBKS) mayor Dato Wee Hong Seng’s Facebook live session today.
Dr Sim, who is also Minister for Local Government and Housing, said SDMC chairman Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas had communicated with the Ministry of Health (KKM) of Sarawak’s intention to speed up the booster vaccination.
Starting today, he said, there will be more recipients receiving notifications in their MySejahtera applications for their third vaccine appointments.
To those who were vaccinated with Sinovac previously and are now hesitant about receiving third Pfizer shots, he said among the 70,000 vaccinated, there are Sinovac recipients as well and there have been no side effects.
He thus urged eligible Sarawakians to get their booster shots as soon as possible once notified through MySejahtera, as the immunity boost is vital in preventing deaths especially among those with comorbidities.
“Now, Sarawak is in close collaboration with KL. We receive 100,000 to 200,000 doses of Pfizer vaccines every week.
“So I hope everyone will come together and cooperate again, like the last time,” said Dr Sim. — DayakDaily