Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.
MIRI, Mar 5: A 67-door longhouse in Ulu Niah was saved by its own residents from a raging fire that started in their storage area early this morning.
Thanks to the swift action of the residents of Rh Belilie Lium, Sg Tema, armed with 15 fire extinguishers and open water source, they managed to extinguish the flames before it spread to the main longhouse building which could have otherwise left over 300 residents homeless.
Head of Miri zone Fire and Rescue Department Law Poh Kiong said they received the emergency call at 12.01am.
Batu Niah volunteer firefighters were the first to be dispatched to the scene as they were much nearer to the longhouse, while firefighters from Lopeng station had to travel a distance of 113km.
The fire destroyed six store rooms, where villagers stored their paddy and other daily used equipment.
No injuries were reported.—DayakDaily