Lawas Hospital evacuated after fire breaks out

Nurses and hospital staff help to move patients outside after a fire broke out in a storage room.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


LAWAS, Sept 27: Patients at Lawas Hospital were evacuated after a fire broke out in the surgical equipment storage room on Thursday (Sept 26) evening.

Sarawak Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) in a statement informed that the incident happened at about 6pm when smoke were seen coming out from the surgical equipment storage room.

Some patients are seen resting in ambulances.

Eight firefighters were dispatched and arrived at the scene five minutes later.


A check showed that the fire ignited from the air-conditioning unit, caused by a short-circuit.

Hospital staff managed to put out the flame with a fire extinguisher.

No casualties or injuries were reported in the incident and patients were allowed back into their wards after the smoke cleared.— DayakDaily