
By Ashley Sim
KUCHING, March 31: Sarawak has successfully completed the construction of 16 major bridges under its State-funded infrastructure initiative, a significant milestone that will accelerate rural development and improve connectivity across the coastal regions.
Premier Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Abang Johari Tun Openg said the State had taken full responsibility for the construction of several bridges, including key projects that were previously cancelled — among them the Batang Lupar, Batang Igan, and Rambungan bridges.
“Initially, when the bridges in Batang Lupar, Batang Igan, and Rambungan were cancelled, I made the decision to take over all bridge construction myself—and I found my own way to fund them. In the end, we secured funding to build 16 bridges, and all of them have been completed,” he told reporters during the ‘Majlis Rumah Terbuka Hari Raya Aidilfitri Premier Sarawak 2025’ held today at the Borneo Convention Centre Kuching (BCCK).
Abang Johari continued, “By next year, the construction of bridges in Sarawak is expected to be completed by 2028. This means our road network, especially the coastal roads, will become a vital link for rural development—alongside electricity and water supply.
“So I believe my 2030 target is achievable, which means I am delivering. And our economy will be more robust with the infrastructure we’re building.”
The Premier further noted that with the takeover of AirBorneo and its supporting air infrastructure, Sarawak is no longer isolated from the rest of the world.
“We will have an economic network which, in my view, is more solid. This is further supported by our green energy policy. I am confident that Sarawak’s future—God willing—will be bright,” he said. — DayakDaily