
By DayakDaily Team
KUCHING, May 21: The Sarawak government does not retain any revenue from the foreign worker fee under the Foreign Worker Transformation Approach (FWTA) initiative, which was introduced to protect employment opportunities for Sarawakians and strengthen the State’s foreign labour management system.
Responding to concerns and queries raised by Pending assemblywoman Violet Yong, Deputy Minister in the Sarawak Premier’s Department (Labour, Immigration and Project Monitoring) Datuk Gerawat Gala stressed that the FWTA project is implemented under a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model, where all capital development and operating costs for the project ecosystem are fully financed by the private sector.
“The approved fee of RM1,854 is fully utilised for the operation, maintenance and enhancement of the system, and is paid entirely to the service provider, with the government not receiving any portion of the fee.
“The government does not receive or take any part of the RM1,854 as the whole sum is paid to the service provider,” he said in a statement issued on Wednesday (May 20).
He added that revenue generated through the platform is reinvested into key infrastructure and infostructure, including Immigration and Labour Integrated Centres, a centralised digital platform, cybersecurity enhancements, human capital development and other capital expenditure needs.
In clarifying allegations raised by Yong regarding purported revenue linked to the initiative, Gerawat said claims involving 106,242 approvals amounting to RM200 million were inaccurate.
He explained that in 2025, a total of 36,672 Approval in Principle (AP) applications were approved through the FWTA system, of which 35,336 proceeded to payment.
“The remaining 69,570 approvals were processed manually before the FWTA system was implemented and were not subjected to the RM1,854 fee,” he said.
He further clarified that FWTA Sdn Bhd is the duly appointed subcontractor of the service provider and is authorised under the contract to receive payments on behalf of the service provider, with its appointment having been approved by the government and subject to audit and oversight by relevant authorities.
Gerawat emphasised that the FWTA initiative was introduced a strategic reform to enhance the management of foreign workers in Sarawak by improving efficiency, transparency and sustainability for employers, industry stakeholders and government agencies, while also addressing challenges linked to undocumented foreign workers through a structured and regulated system.
“The initiative had been developed and implemented in accordance with established legal, administrative and financial procedures, and had received the necessary approvals from the relevant State authorities,” he said.
Gerawat also cautioned against the politicisation of administrative initiatives, stressing that FWTA is intended to serve the wider interests of the State.
He said the initiative is guided by principles of protecting job opportunities for Sarawakians, strengthening governance, and ensuring economic growth is supported by a well-regulated labour ecosystem.
“The government welcomes constructive scrutiny but rejects any insinuations of impropriety or lack of transparency. Such serious allegations must be supported by verifiable facts and evidence, not conjecture or politically motivated speculation.
“Public discourse on governance must remain responsible, accurate, and grounded in truth, as baseless claims risk misrepresenting facts and undermining public confidence in institutions serving the people,” he said.
Gerawat said the government will continue engaging with industry stakeholders to ensure the system remains practical and does not impose undue burden on businesses, while safeguarding the welfare and employment opportunities of Sarawakians. — DayakDaily




