By Malcolm Lau
KUCHING, June 9: The victims of the longhouse fire at Long Selaan received food aid from Mulu assemblyman Datuk Gerawat Gala today.
The food aid which was delivered by helicopter contained rice, cooking oil, instant noodles, canned food and other food items.
A fire razed the longhouse late yesterday morning. Approximately 65 residents were left homeless and lost all their possessions in the fire.
According to a Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) report, there were 12 families living at the longhouse but only 10 residents at home when the fire happened.
Community Bomba members were at the scene when the fire happened and they were joined by firefighters later. However, they could not save the longhouse.
Baram Member of Parliament Anyi Ngau was at the site earlier this evening to survey the situation and provide help for the victims of the fire. — DayakDaily