Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.
By Ling Hui
KUCHING, May 21: The owners of two blocks of four-storey flats in Sibu Jaya that were declared uninhabitable and dangerous years ago are still waiting for a solution plan from the Housing Ministry.
Dudong assemblyman Dato Sri Tiong King Sing said the flats had been abandoned since an explosion occurred due to a gas leak several years ago. But, until today, there has been no follow-up from the authorities.
He said it was understood that the reconstruction project of the flats was publicly tendered twice before, but no qualified contractor could be identified.
“I think there is a lot of room for improvement in the service quality of the housing department, including the processing of documents that would take as long as half a year to a year without any follow-up.
“Many individuals from the B40 group had cried out to me that they could only kneel and pray to God in hopes to get the authorities’ attention as they do not know who to turn to for help,” said Tiong, who is also Bintulu MP.
He debated the Governor’s speech at the Sarawak Legislative Assembly (DUN) sitting yesterday (May 20). — DayakDaily