Dislodged gas hose causes devastating house fire in Kg Melugu Skim

Firefighters putting out the last of the fire which destroyed the house.

By Nancy Nais

SRI AMAN, Dec 1: A hose that was suddenly dislodged from a gas valve caused a fire that destroyed a house in Kampung Melugu Skim, Po Ai.

Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) Zone 3 Sri Aman fire chief PgB Ramlan Marajan disclosed that a family of eight including a 7-year-old child were left homeless in the aftermath.

“The victim was cooking rice on the stove when the gas hose suddenly came off causing the fire to break out and spread in seconds. They tried to put the fire out with water but failed.

Firefighters putting out the last of the fire which destroyed the house.

“Upon arrival, firefighters led by fire station chief PPgB William Baheng reported the 20 x 30 square feet house was 100 per cent destroyed. Our team also faced difficulties as there was no source of water nearby,” Ramlan revealed, adding that the nearest fire hydrant is located 2km away from the house.


In the end, firefighters had to source water from their fire engine. No injuries were reported in the incident.

The Sri Aman fire station received the initial emergency call at 3.21pm. — DayakDaily