KUCHING, Oct 11: Bandar Kuching MP Dr Kelvin Yii today welcomed the announcement made by de-facto Law Minister Datuk Liew Vui Keong on the composition of the Special Cabinet Committee for the Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MA63).
In a statement today, Dr Yii said he had raised this issue in Parliament not only because it was in Pakatan Harapan (PH)’s manifesto but because it touched on the interests of Sarawakians and Sabahans, who were short-changed and robbed of their rights for decades.
He explained that the committee would be studying and proposing corrective measures in relation to the following matters:
- The status of the MA63 in the context of current legislation;
- Efforts to improve the people’s understanding of MA63 1963 through the education system;
- Implementation of the concept of federalism across the three territories — Peninsula, Sabah and Sarawak;
- The rights of Sabah and Sarawak to natural resources as well as oil and gas;
- Administrative matters that can be delegated to the states;
- The amount of allocation that is within the rights of Sabah and Sarawak; and
- Amendment to Article 1 of the Federal Constitution.
Dr Yii added that there would only be two main committees for the time being — the steering committee is the main one and the technical committee.
“The chief ministers of Sabah and Sarawak are included in the committee, including Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg, even though they are part of the opposition in the federal level.
“On top of that, the Sabah and Sarawak State Attorney Generals, Chief Judge of the High Court of Sabah and Sarawak, State Secretaries, professors, academicians and many others are also included in the committees,” he said.
The Technical Committee would then pick the Working Committee, which would further include more representatives from Sabah and Sarawak.
“I welcome these committees, especially the fact that it involves different minds from different fields that will examine and identify the necessary legal rectifications needed to restore our rights under the MA63,” said Dr Yii. — DayakDaily