Alert neighbour averts fire disaster with wet cloth

Nazry (left) collecting information from Mohd Fazrie (centre) about the incident.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


By Nancy Nais

SARATOK, Feb 18: A double-storey wooden house at Kampung Tanjung was saved from burning down with just a piece of wet cloth following swift response from an alert neighbour this morning.

According to Saratok Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) station chief Nazry Mohamat, 31-year-old Mohd Fazrie Othman was doing renovations outside his own house when he noticed smoke coming out from the ground floor toilet of his neighbour’s house at about 9.07am.

At the time of the incident, no one was home.

“Leaving him with no choice, Mohd Fazrie had to break open the front door so he could enter the house and thereafter rushed towards the toilet. When he saw a piece of wet cloth, he quickly grabbed and used it to douse the fire,” Nazry said when contacted.

A forgotten lit candle caused the fire in the toilet.

Meanwhile, residents of the area also contacted Bomba for assistance.

Upon examination, firefighters found the toilet water tank and window badly damaged from the fire.

Nazry also said further investigations revealed that the neighbour’s family had used a candle to light up the toilet earlier this morning because the light bulb was faulty.

Apparently they forgot about it and left the house at 6.30am, with the candle still lit. — DayakDaily