Alert foreign worker helped save his colleagues when fire ravages their quarters

The damaged quarters after the fire incident.

MIRI, August 26: A young Indonesian worker of a welding workshop in Senadin helped kept five of his colleagues from harm’s way when a fire broke out inside the workers’ quarters at about 3pm today.

The 19-year-old, known only as Chappi, had woken up due to an empty tummy, and by so doing he averted possible disaster from happening inside the modified container that doubled as their living quarters.

“I felt hungry after waking up, so I wanted to cook instant noodles,” said Chappi. “I then spotted fire in a corner of our quarters and I immediately rushed to wake up my colleagues, who were all fast asleep.”

A colleague of his by the name of Sopandi, 35, chipped in, “All of us were sleeping as today is Sunday and we were not working.”

Sopandi, who has been working at the workshop for about five years, related that they all tried to douse the fire but to no avail as the fire spread rapidly.


Sopandi

“I quickly ran downstairs and alerted our supervisor and bosses. They then called up Bomba,” he said.

Firemen from Bomba Lopeng arrived shortly thereafter and managed to put out the fire within minutes.

Sopandi said he was thankful that no one was hurt in the incident. The cause of the fire has not been ascertained yet. — DayakDaily