A somber CNY for Soon Koh’s household

Wong (seated, third left) with members of the press.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


By Nancy Nais

KUCHING, Jan 22: He may be seen as ‘quieting down’ after quitting the state cabinet, but Bawang Assan assemblyman Datuk Seri Wong Soon Koh assured that he has not vanished.

Wong, 77, was Sarawak’s second finance minister and international trade and e-commerce minister before he announced his resignation and officially left the cabinet on Aug 25 last year.


“After I left, I don’t have many chance to meet all of you (reporters) anymore because I am no longer in the limelight. But I am letting you know that I am actively moving around, mostly in the rural and Dayak-based areas,” he said at a pre-Chinese New Year gathering with members of the media today.

The Parti Sarawak Bersatu (PSB) president said although he and his party comrades were actively moving throughout the state, particularly in the rural areas, they’ve maintained their presence in urban areas.

“We are working very hard and will continue the momentum for this coming state election so that we can be the next force and be recognised in Sarawak,” Wong asserted.

Meanwhile, Wong also announced that he and his family would not be celebrating Chinese New Year this year.

“Please accept our apologies. My family and I are still in mourning period over the death of my son Datuk Andrew Wong, therefore we will not be celebrating or receiving guests this year,” he said.

Andrew, 43, passed away on Feb 10 at the family residence in Ipoh Road, Sibu. —DayakDaily