Ulu Niah villagers save longhouse from total disaster

A storage room from Rh Changgai in Ulu Niah caught fire this afternoon.

MIRI, Jan 29: Swift actions by the villagers of Rh Changgai, Ulu Niah successfully prevented a fire from completely razing their longhouse today.

Sarawak Fire and Rescue department (Bomba) in a statement said that villagers used 11 fire extinguishers to douse the fire which started from a storage room at 2.30pm.

Batu Niah volunteer firefighters (PBS) team received the emergency call at 2.35pm before informing Bomba.

Firefighters from Lopeng were immediately dispatched to the scene, a journey which took them 2 hours 49 minutes as the longhouse was located about 75km away.

ABANG JOHARI

A woman villager was reportedly injured with a slight burn on her shoulder. —DayakDaily

A woman villager was slightly injured from the incident.