By Shikin Louis
KUCHING, Nov 3: Sarawak Governor Tun Pehin Sri Abdul Taib Mahmud receives the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ at the inaugural International Business Review (IBR) Borneo Awards 2023 held at Riverside Majestic Hotel here earlier tonight.
Since Tuan Yang Terutama (TYT) Yang di-Pertua Negeri could not attend the ceremony to receive the award, a video tribute to him was played.
Premier of Sarawak Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Abang Johari Tun Openg, in his speech earlier, conveyed his congratulatory remark on Taib’s achievement.
“My heartfelt congratulations to our Governor of Sarawak, His Excellency Tun Pehin Sri Haji Abdul Taib Mahmud, who is receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award, which he deserves as the Father of Modern Sarawak.
“I wish he could be with us tonight to receive the award,” Abang Johari said.
The IBR Borneo Awards honour the achievements of corporations and government agencies that have operations or are based in Borneo.
The event also witnessed the launch of a book titled ‘Through the Looking Glass’ by IBR Asia Group chief executive officer Dato Beatrice Nirmala.
Also present were Dewan Negara president Senator Tan Sri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar and his wife, Puan Sri Fauziah Sanusi, as well as Deputy Premier Datuk Amar Dr Sim Kui Hian.
List of 2023 IBR Borneo Awards recipients:
(Presenter — Malaysian Senate president Senator Tan Sri Dato Sri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar)
1. Mohammed Nasir Idris, Nigeria’s Governor of Kebbi State
– Leadership Legacy in Socioeconomic Development
2. Datuk Len Talif Salleh, chairman of Tabung Ekonomi Gagasan Anak Sarawak (TEGAS)
— Leadership Legacy in Digital Entrepreneurship Development
3. Datuk Sr Mohd Salem Kailany, chief executive officer (CEO) and president of UDA Holdings Sdn Bhd
— Leadership Legacy in Integrated Property Development
4. Kelvin Kuek, managing director of Group Engineers Malaysia
— Corporate Excellence in Engineering Sector for Water-Based Engineers Services
5. Chon Sewhan, PT Astrazeneca Indonesia country president
— Corporate Excellence in Pharmaceutical Sector for Sustainable Solutions
(Presenter — Deputy Minister for Tourism, Creative Industry and Performing Arts II of Sarawak, Datuk Snowdan Lawan)
1. Tan Sri Datuk Amar Dr Abdul Aziz Husain, chairman of SiliconNet Technologies
— Government Services Delivery in The Fintech Sector for E-Wallet Solutions
2. Dr Salihin Abang, Salihin Group Managing Partner and founder
— Corporate Excellence in The Professional Services Sector for Premium Professional Services
3. Sudarnoto Osman, CEO of Sarawak Digital Economy Corporation (SEDC)
— Innovative Technology and The ICT Sector for Digital Transformation Solutions
(Presenter — Deputy Minister for Energy and Environmental Sustainability of Sarawak, Datuk Dr Hazland Abang Hipni)
1. Lindayani Tajudin, Deputy Group CEO of Cypark Resources
— Innovation Technology in The Energy Sector for Floating Solar Panels
2. Serawa Budol, General Manager of Miri Port Authority
— Corporate Excellence in The Logistics Sector for Comprehensive Ports Transformation
3. Dato Whitney Ho, Managing Director of ARISE Consulting
— Corporate Excellence in the Business Consultancy Sector for Business Process Excellence
(Presenter — Deputy Minister for Public Health, Housing and Local Government of Sarawak, Datuk Michael Tiang Ming Tee)
1. Nurhazimah Mahat, General Manager of KPJ Kuching Specialist Hospital
— Innovative Technology in The Medical Sector for Robotic Assisted Surgery
2. Kusyairi Bostani, Chief Operating Officer of LCDA Holdings Sdn Bhd
— Corporate Excellence in Community Development for Sustainability
3. Zainal Abidin Abdullah, General Manager of Sarawak Timber Industry Development Corporation (STIDC)
— Corporate Excellence in The Timber Industry for Economic Zone Development
4. Balakumarr Karupiah, Chairman of GB13 Group
— In Recognition for Sales Leadership