
By Amanda L
KUCHING, Aug 18: The recent rain has not been enough to replenish Sarawak’s hydroelectric reservoirs, with water levels still low and authorities keeping cloud seeding under review.
Deputy Premier Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas said Sarawak was continuing to coordinate with the Malaysian Meteorological Department (METMalaysia) to assess when cloud seeding could resume.
“The weather is good, but we still have a report from Sarawak Energy Berhad (SEB) that the water levels at the hydro are still quite low,” he told reporters after officiating the cheque presentation for Houses of Worship 2026 (Phase 1) at the Unit for Other Religions (UNIFOR) Complex here today.
Uggah, who is also chairman of the Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC), said the State would assess the prevailing conditions before deciding when to carry out further cloud seeding.
He said the recent rainfall had nevertheless brought relief from the haze, with most Air Pollutant Index (API) readings now at healthy levels.
However, water-supply problems were still being reported in several rural areas, prompting concern over the impact of continued hot and dry weather on water availability.
Uggah said residents had been instructed to remain vigilant and take immediate action when water-supply complaints were received.
“We tell them, complaint received within 12 hours, water must be delivered,” he said.
He also advised the Rural Water Supply Department (JBALB) to reorganise and replan its operations to ensure it was better prepared if hot and dry conditions persisted.
“I advise JBALB to organise, to replan so that if the hot and dry weather continues, we have a strategy to face the problem of lack of water for the people.
“We are very concerned about water supply,” he said.
He said the State would continue monitoring the situation, particularly the low water levels at hydroelectric facilities and water-supply conditions in rural areas. — DayakDaily




