Riot spends almost 10 hours at MACC HQ

PUTRAJAYA: Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri Richard Riot spent nearly 10 hours at the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) headquarters yesterday, reports the New Straits Times.

The 66-year-old Serian MP who looked tired as he left the building, told the waiting media scrum that he came to assist the MACC in their investigation, before getting into his car at about 8pm.

When asked why it took so long to have his statement recorded, Riot replied: “Biasalah (it is normal).”

He said he did not submit any documentation because he was just here to give his statement into the probe of an alleged misappropriation of Skills Development Fund Corporation (SDFC) funds.

It was reported that his political secretary had been remanded on Thursday until Oct 3 to assist in the probe.

He is being investigated under Section 17 (a) of the MACC Act 2009 for giving or accepting gratification by an agent.

The man, who is a member of the Sarawak United Peoples’ Party (SUPP) was detained at the MACC headquarters here at 12.30pm on Wednesday after having his statement recorded.

The man is the fifth to be arrested in connection with the probe. Four people were arrested earlier this month at several locations in Kuala Lumpur.

Initial investigations revealed that they had embezzled RM15 million in 2016 and RM25 million this year.

Meanwhile, it was also reported that Riot could be called up again to help in investigations.

MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Dzulkifli Ahmad said the commission was scrutinising statements recorded so far and would call up more people, should the need arise.

“We are looking at documents (on) the approvals by the relevant officers. We opened the investigation paper based on the intelligence gathered and public tip-off,” he told reporters after the launch of an Anti-Corruption Tour at the state MACC headquarters.

“We called the minister (Riot) to record his statement and not for remand. We will call him again, and other witnesses, if there is a need, to assist with the investigation.”