KUCHING, Dec 30: Padungan Assemblyman Wong King Wei says it is ridiculous for the state government to hold the countdown event tomorrow night amid the Covid-19 pandemic and urged the state government to cancel the event.
He said both the community and the State government must avoid holding mass gatherings during the current Covid-19 pandemic so as to avert a new wave of infections.
He asserted that the state government must think twice or thrice before making decision to hold such an event, which had lined up performers from Peninsular Malaysia.
“Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah has announced that performers from Peninsular Malaysia have been invited. This is ridiculous and may even put the lives of Sarawakians at stake,” Wong said in a statement issued here.
Wong said the State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) had been so strict on a lot of businesses, by restricting their operations and limiting the people visiting the premises.
Given such a scenario, he pointed out that the state government should not be exempted from abiding by such principles to help break the chain of virus infections.
“Many businesses are asked to comply with the SOP at their economical expense, they are doing their part as responsible citizens, the government should be doing the same too.
“Sarawakians generally are not receptive to the idea of the government having such a large scale celebration. We all have done our part, why can’t the government?” he asked.
Wong reiterated that the planned countdown event, given its scale of celebration during this pandemic, is ridiculous. – DayakDaily