KUCHING, Dec 7: A 50-year old man was injured after a suspected gas leak caused an explosion at the Miri Forest Department office in Pujut today.
The Miri Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) in a statement today disclosed it received an emergency call from the public at 8.02am, and a team of seven firefighters led by TPgB Hamdani Madon was despatched to the location, together with PgKB1 Law Poh Kiong, PgB Awangku Hazmin Awang Zainal and PpgB Jessbent.
“Firefighters arriving at the location confirmed the incident, and after conducting a size-up operation, they found that there is a gas leak, and informed the Gas Sarawak team to be on standby at the location.
“One victim was injured in the incident and was brought to the hospital by the forestry staff,” it added.
The statement noted no extinguishing work was done and firefighters only isolated the main electrical panel board and the building’s carbon dioxide (Co2) system.
“However, firefighters remain on stand-by at the scene for any possible fire breakout, until the arrival of the Bomba forensic unit from the Miri fire station,” it added.
Eight Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) and four Malaysian Armed Force (ATM) personnel also participated in the operation. — DayakDaily