BETONG, Aug 29: Longhouse and village chiefs in rural areas have been urged to register all outsiders attending mass events including weddings and funerals at their longhouses and villages.
Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas advised people, especially community leaders, to continue to be vigilant.
“We always have a large crowd at events with some coming from outside including neighbouring longhouses and villages.
“Physical distancing can be hard to implement and if any of the visitors are down with sickness, it can spread fast. So we need to be proactive in taking prevention steps,” he said when launching the Community Policing Workshop for Village Security and Development Committees (JKKK) in the Betong Division here today.
Uggah was echoing the call made by Layar assemblyman Gerald Rentap Jabu in view of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Uggah, who is also State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) chairman, pointed out that taking steps to record details of visitors in particular their contact numbers were crucial to facilitate authorities in carrying out contact tracing should the need arised.
“This is part of the standard operation procedures (SOP) practised in cities and towns to curb further transmission and infection.
“It has proven to be very useful when the medical department needs to engage with all those who have come in contact with possible Covid-19 positive persons,” he said.
He also reminded rural folks to continue observing all SOP and health and safety guidelines to protect themselves and their communities.
“Longhouse and village chiefs should direct their respective JKKK to monitor the compliance. All must give their full commitment.
“JKKKs are the last line of defence in such areas. This workshop, thus, is very timely to teach them what to do not only in the fight against Covid-19 but other diseases like rabies, dengue and other more modern illnesses like fake news in the social media,” he said.
Uggah emphasised the fact that the Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin had announced the extension of the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) nationwide until the end of the year indicated that the government was still taking a very serious view of the pandemic.
“It is still with us. We have not won the war so we must continue fighting,” he added.
Earlier in his speech, Betong Resident Friday Belik informed that 23 workshops would be conducted now until mid of September for 660 JKKKs from the various districts and sub-districts in the division.
Beting Maro assemblyman Razali Gapor and Saribas assemblyman Mohammad Razi Sitam were among those present.—DayakDaily