
By DayakDaily Team
KUCHING, Feb 19: The widening of Jalan Ulu Sungai Merah in Sibu into a dual carriageway is expected to be completed in May this year.
This was revealed by Deputy Minister for Public Health, Housing and Local Government, Datuk Michael Tiang Ming Tee, during a Chinese New Year open house in Sibu yesterday (Feb 18), according to the Sarawak Public Communication Unit (UKAS).
Tiang said the project is part of several initiatives in the Pelawan area aimed at improving traffic flow and road safety for residents.
He also noted that upgrading works on Jalan Ling Kai Cheng have been completed, while several improvement measures are being planned across the Sungai Merah area, including along Jalan Teng Chin Hua, following feedback from nearby churches and schools.
“These measures include redesigning junctions and adjusting access points to improve traffic flow and enhance safety, particularly for students of SMK Bandar Sibu,” he said, as quoted by UKAS.
Addressing suggestions that the projects are tied to the upcoming Sarawak election, Tiang stressed that development efforts have been ongoing since the start of his term.
“I have never stopped working since the first day I was elected. Five years is a short period, and throughout that time we have continued to plan and implement development initiatives for the progress of Sibu,” he added.
The upgrading project, which began on April 17, 2024, covers an approximately 2.14 kilometre stretch of single-lane roadway from the Jalan Ling Kai Cheng traffic junction to Lorong Ulu Sungai Merah 48, widening it into a dual carriageway to ease chronic congestion.
For years, Jalan Ulu Sungai Merah had been known among residents as a major congestion point, particularly during peak hours and school times, due to its role as an arterial link for around 3,000 households and nearby schools. — DayakDaily




