
By DayakDaily Team
KUCHING, Feb 21: Senator Robert Lau called for a professional and fact-based investigation into the collapse of a three-storey shophouse at Jalan Pahlawan in Sungai Merah last week, saying a proper assessment is necessary to determine the cause and ensure safety while avoiding political point scoring, instead of pointing fingers on who to blame.
In a Facebook post, Lau said the collapse caused structural damage to adjoining units in the same row, with ground movement observed in the days that followed and several remaining shophouses reportedly sinking by several feet.
“The site has been cordoned off by police to prevent occupants from entering the affected premises to retrieve their belongings.
“It is not the time for political point scoring and any finger pointing will have to come, if needed at all, after the facts are clear,” he said.
Lau outlined immediate steps, beginning with the engagement of competent professionals to assess whether the affected buildings are structurally safe for occupants to enter.
He also cautioned against the premature removal of debris, stressing that crucial evidence at the site must be preserved to establish the cause of the collapse.
“The right professionals must be quickly engaged to carry out this task,” he emphasised.
Lau acknowledged that funding would be required to conduct the necessary assessments and investigations.

On possible causes, he said the collapse could stem from external factors such as underground soil movement or internal factors including poor workmanship or inadequate engineering design.
He noted that the Sibu Municipal Council introduced the Ground Settlement Guideline (GSG) in 2010, which came into effect on Jan 1, 2011, requiring engineers to ensure that infrastructure within commercial developments does not exceed allowable settlement limits.
The guideline led developers to construct roads and drains on suspended platforms in peat soil areas and was later extended to residential projects.
According to Lau, the collapsed shophouse and neighbouring units were built based on engineering drawings approved before the guideline took effect.
He added that other commercial and residential buildings in Sibu, particularly those constructed between the 1970s and 2000s, have experienced structural failures over time, especially where piling did not reach firm ground.
“Most of the settlement happened gradually and not in a sudden collapse like the one seen a week ago,” he explained.
Lau said addressing structural issues in older buildings constructed on soft ground would require significant effort and funding.
“There is no simple or cheap solution to deal with buildings that were built on soft ground before the GSG was imposed,” he added. — DayakDaily



