Gas cylinder fire averted by water sprinkler system

Firefighters inspect the apartment's kitchen.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.


BINTULU, March 11: A major mishap was averted by a water sprinkler system after a gas cylinder caught fire while food was being cooked in an apartment here yesterday.

The incident occurred in one of the units at Hive Apartment, Fortune Park.

Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) in a statement revealed they received the emergency call at 8.10pm.

TPgB Christus Buson who led a team of 15 firefighters to the scene disclosed by the time they arrived, the fire was already put out, thanks to the sprinkler head that activate upon sensing the fire in the kitchen.

Although no extinguishing was done, they proceeded to shut off the gas cylinder valve.

The fire did not affect any parts of the building structure.

The apartment building’s management also assisted in shutting off the butterfly valve sprinkler system as instructed by firefighters.

Butterfly control valves are usually installed as part of a fire sprinkler and standpipe system, streamlining replacement of pipes downstream and visually indicating the flow of water during normal system operation.

No one was injured in the incident. — DayakDaily