Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.<!––
MIRI, August 30: A fire engulfed an electrical repair shop in Lutong Baru, Jalan Point Setia, Lorong Fiona 2 on Tuesday night. No one was reported injured in the incident.
Miri Fire and Rescue Department chief, Supt Law Poh Kiong said in a statement on Wednesday, two fire engines from Lopeng and Miri fire stations were despatched to the scene after receiving a distress call on the incident.
“We received the call at around 10.45pm. We sent two teams, from Miri and Lopeng fire stations to the location,” said Law.
“The fire engulfed the shop on the ground floor. No casualties were involved in this fire,” he added.
The incident also left the building’s tenants in shock, with eight of them staying on the first floor of the building.
One of the tenants, Christopher Jubang, 29, said fortunately during the time of the fire, he and his wife were still awake.
“I smelt smoke and saw plumes of smoke. Fearing that it might be fire, I ran to the balcony and looked downstairs….it was then I saw and was sure it was fire ravaging the shop downstairs,” he said.
Christopher immediately ordered his wife and other tenants to leave their rooms and escape.
An ambulance was also despatched to the scene.
One of the tenant’s teenage daughter was seen being brought into the ambulance to receive treatment as she was in a state of shock.
Prior to the incident, the teenage girl identified as Nur Najwa Yunus and her 38 year-old mother and her younger sibling aged seven-months-old were resting inside their rented room in the building, when they heard loud shouts instructing them to leave the building immediately.
“Thanks to Christopher; he has saved all of us,” said the girl’s mother, who was identified as Erna.
According to Law,the fire damaged 80 per cent of the shop. However,the actual cause of the incident has yet to be determined as investigation is underway. — DayakDaily