EC looking into feasibility of redelineation exercise for Sarawak

Tan Sri Abdul Ghani Salleh (file pic)

KUCHING, Jan 1: The Election Commission (EC) is currently considering and reviewing the feasibility for a redelineation exercise in Sarawak.

EC chairman Tan Sri Abdul Ghani Salleh said a redelineation exercise can be carried out after eight years have passed from the date of completion of the previous redelineation, or when there is an amendment to the composition of the number of members of the Dewan Rakyat or State Legislative Assembly (DUN).

The latest redelineation exercise for Peninsular Malaysia was in 2018 whereas for Sarawak and Sabah, it was carried out in 2015 and 2017 respectively.

Ghani also said that a redelineation exercise will only be carried out when there is notification to the Dewan Rakyat Speaker and the Prime Minister by the EC and a notice is published as provided under Part II, Section 4, Thirteenth Schedule of the Federal Constitution.

“The EC does not plan to carry out a redelineation exercise for Peninsular Malaysia and Sabah following the expiry of the period that is still in force.

“Meanwhile for Sarawak, the EC is considering and examining the feasibility of carrying out the exercise,” he said in a statement today.

On Oct 8, Premier of Sarawak Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Abang Johari Tun Openg announced that the State will conduct a feasibility study on increasing parliamentary seats in the State before bringing the matter up to EC for approval.

Prior to that, delegates at Parti Pesaka Bumiputera Bersatu (PBB) Special Convention for Betong Zone passed a resolution, proposing that the number of parliamentary seats in Sarawak be increased by 12, in line with the quest for one-third representation for Sabah and Sarawak in the Dewan Rakyat.

To date, Sarawak has 31 parliamentary seats whereas Sabah has 25 seats, making up only 25 per cent of the total 222 seats in the Parliament. The remaining 75 per cent or 166 seats are held by Peninsular Malaysia. – DayakDaily