Disapppointed new house owners seek SUPP Public Complaint Bureau’s help

Yap (yellow shirt) meeting up with a few house buyers at the housing project.

Follow and subscribe to DayakDaily on Telegram for faster news updates.

KUCHING, Nov 28: A group of house buyers have lodged a complaint about the defective conditions of their newly completed homes despite being issued with Occupation Permit (OP) from the Padawan Municipal Council (MPP).

Sarawak United Peoples’ Party (SUPP) Public Complaint Bureau chief Wilfred Yap said the homeowners were disappointed with the unfit conditions of their houses at a residential estate in Jalan Stephen Yong, Batu Kawa, here.

According to the house buyers, the defects would require major rectification works, which they considered unsafe for occupation despite the issuance of the OP by MPP on July 5, he added.

“They were unhappy with the issuance of the occupation permit, as it would affect the calculation of quantum of damages that can be awarded by the Tribunal for Housing Purchaser’s Claims Sarawak against the housing developer under the sale and purchase agreement.

“The said permit was issued after the housing developers’ consultant architect and structural engineers had submitted the statutory Form E and F,” Yap said in a statement.

After the matter was raised with MPP, the council requested the housing developers’ consultant architect and structural engineers for their explanation concerning their application for issuance of occupation permit on behalf of the housing developer, he added.

Yap said MPP had also given their assurance that they would deal with the matter seriously, which can include referring the submitting persons for the issuance of the occupation permit to their professional bodies.

Following this incident, Yap reminded the public that the SUPP Public Complaint Bureau would continue to assist the house buyers in respect of their claims at the Tribunal for Housing Purchaser’s Claims Sarawak.

“The bureau will pursue, follow up and monitor the matter with all the relevant authorities until the issue of compensation and rectification works are completed in full compliance with the terms of the sale and purchase agreement between the house buyers and developer,” he said.

Yap added that SUPP Complaint Bureau was prepared to give advice and lend a helping hand to those facing problems with government departments and agencies, including individuals facing problems of public interest but do not know how to deal with it.

Anyone requiring assistance can contact SUPP Public Complaint Bureau at 016-7797688 or 082-246999 or go directly to the SUPP head office to request for assistance. — DayakDaily