Coffeeshop fire disaster averted thanks to quick thinking, availability of extinguishers

The use of fire extinguishers prevented a coffee shop kitchen fire from spreading.

KUCHING, Dec 2: Quick thinking and the ready availability of basic fire fighting equipment saved a coffee shop from a fire in Siburan.

The quick response of the coffee shop owner who grabbed a fire extinguisher upon realising his gas tank was on fire after the valve broke not only saved lives but also prevented property loss.

Patrons in the shop were also quick to grab a second extinguisher and help the owner prevent the fire from spreading.

The Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) Siburan station received the alert at 10.46pm about the fire at Mile 17, Siburan bazaar last night.

Upon arrival, firefighters led by PBKII Albanus Linyan reported that the fire had been successfully extinguished by members of the public with two extinguishers.


The fire was caused by leaked gas and destroyed about five per cent of the kitchen area. However, the early action taken was crucial in preventing the fire from spreading. — DayakDaily