15th MIHAS signals Malaysia’s influence, role in global halal economy

The 15th Malaysia International Halal Showcase (MIHAS) will be held from April 4-7 at Malaysia International Trade and Exhibition Centre (MITEC), Kuala Lumpur. Photo sourced from mihas.com.my

KUCHING, March 23: Malaysia is once again setting itself as a leading influencer and industry player in the global Halal economy by hosting the 15th Malaysia International Halal Showcase (MIHAS) at Malaysia International Trade and Exhibition Centre (MITEC), Kuala Lumpur.

The signature event which will be held from April 4-7 will bring together global halal brands and gather leading industry players and thought leaders from around the world for four days of trade, networking and knowledge sharing.

Organised by Malaysia External Trade Development Corporation (MATRADE) under the patronage of the Ministry of International Trade and Industry, MIHAS is the largest halal trade event of its kind in the world.

Whilst the exhibition logged its largest edition in 2017, recording 22,000 visitors from 80 countries, this year MIHAS is set to double in size. The exhibition features products and services across seven industry sectors; food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, tourism, finance, logistics and e-commerce.

MATRADE chief executive officer Dr Mohd Shahreen Zainooreen Madros said: “The overwhelming interest in MIHAS reflects the bullish sentiment of the global halal industry. Of the 800 companies that are expected to participate this year, as high as 32 per cent of exhibitors are new-to-market while the remaining 68 per cent are repeat and long-term participants.


“Forty-one countries so far have registered interest to participate, representing 45 per cent of the total occupancy of MIHAS 2018; the rest, of course, being Malaysian companies. I am happy to note that India is among the top six largest country pavilions at MIHAS, alongside Thailand, Indonesia, Taiwan, Iran and China,” Mohd Shahreen said.

MIHAS has been a highly effective sourcing platform, recording over USD4 billion in cumulative trade for its participants.

The world’s largest halal tradeshow, MIHAS aims to foster business and investment in the halal domain.

This year, buyers at the exhibition can expect to find the latest halal product offerings and services across industry value chains.

From halal ingredients, to semi-finished products and manufactured goods, to packaging and logistics, to Shariah compliant financing and Takaful, MIHAS seeks to become an indispensable annual one-stop centre for traders in this burgeoning economic sector.

“Total Muslim spending across lifestyle sectors already represents nearly 12 per cent of global expenditure. The number of exhibitors MIHAS has received this year is very promising.

“It will be welcoming 10 countries which have not previously participated in MIHAS before with at least 40 countries participating as exhibitors,” Mohd Shahreen added.

MIHAS 2018 is also projected to double the number of participating exhibitors, from 612 booths to 1,200 booths, making this year the most comprehensive and highly-anticipated edition of MIHAS for buyers that is expected to draw a very large crowd.

Malaysian manufacturers and distributors will comprise half of the participating companies, reflecting keen support and interest from local as well as international players.

This year, the top foreign countries exhibiting are Thailand, Indonesia, Taiwan, China and Philippines.

These encouraging responses from local and international companies shows more companies worldwide recognise the value of participating in MIHAS.

This is supported by the fact that almost 70 per cent of exhibitors are returning exhibitors. With the addition of newcomers in this year’s exhibition, MIHAS 2018 is also set to offer a wider range of products.

Mohd Shahreen said visitors to MIHAS 2018 this year can expect a lot more than just a diverse international glimpse into halal products and services.

Alongside the exhibition are various programmes and engagements designed to keep buyers and traders alike informed on the latest developments and trends in the halal industry by experts from around the world.

Meanwhile, Sarawak exports in 2017 have increased by 26.3 per cent to RM80.69 billion, compared to RM63.9 billion in 2016. Major export products were LNG, palm oil and palm-based agriculture products, metal, wood products and crude petroleum. — DayakDaily

Share this article!